Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An Eggcellent Time of Year

It's springtime in Florida, which means it is time for Easter. I love the rebirth of the spring season and warm weather. Everything feels so fresh, clean, and hopeful. This year as I think of the trials we all face and some of my family who are currently facing hard trials I reflect on what Easter and the resurrection mean to me, and I am particularly reminded of this quote from a former church leader:
"Each of us will have our own Fridays—those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put together again. We will all have our Fridays. But I testify to you in the name of the One who conquered death—Sunday will come. In the darkness of our sorrow, Sunday will come. No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come. We will all rise from the grave. And on that day my father will embrace my mother. On that day I will once again hold in my arms my beloved Elisa. Because of the life and eternal sacrifice of the Savior of the world, we will be reunited with those we have cherished. On that day we will know the love of our Heavenly Father. On that day we will rejoice that the Messiah overcame all that we could live forever" --Joseph B. Wirthlin."  
Sunday at church. 
What a wonderful time of year to be thankful for all that our Savior has done for us. 
I'm especially thankful for the health and peace we experience as a family. Here we are preparing for the Easter holiday fun. 
This is Annabelle's first Easter as an active participant, so we had a lot of fun teaching her how to hunt for eggs. We started a week before, so she could learn and know what to do. She caught on so fast and we were surprised that she would never put any other objects into her basket, only eggs.
I loved how she would carry her basket as she was learning how to hold it. The only way she knew how to keep it on her shoulder was to put her hand on her head, so she would walk around the house like this with basket in tow and hand on the head.
On Friday we were feeling adventurous and dyed Easter eggs.
Annabelle was either really wanting to get into the action or just eat the paper and make a mess.
Learning skills from Daddy.
Our finished product:
Since we do not have family around or many friends with kids that are Annabelle's age, we decided to try out our local Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday. Other than the slightly breezy and overcast day, it was the perfect little activity for Annabelle's first Easter egg hunt.
SHE LOVED IT! I can't get enough of this happy face.
By now, she was becoming a pro at carrying her basket.
Even after the hunt was finished, we kept Easter egg hunting.
We had such a great time. Here is a few more pictures and video of her:
Happy Easter from our blue-eyed little girl!
After the hunt, we went and played on the playground.
In Florida, playgrounds have surf board practice equipment. 
Following the park, we watched the helicopter land
and explored a fire truck.
We went to see the Easter bunny, but he was on break. Who needs an Easter bunny anyway?
The next morning before church, we got to see what the Easter Bunny brought. 
She loves playing with her ball, bunnies, and sunglasses.
However, I think the grass was the most entertaining moment of the morning.
She had a fun time throwing it everywhere.
After church on Sunday, we took a stroll outside to enjoy the beautiful weather and have one last Easter egg hunt before we put everything away until next year.
Blessed.

3 comments:

Lori said...

That Annabelle cracks me up! Love that she was so into the egg hunt! Show your mom the pics of her in her bonnet. She wanted her to have an Easter bonnet.

Jenny said...

Adorable Jo!! She looked SO cute and I love those blue eyes! Yes, Mom kept talking about how AB would have an Easter Bonnet on Easter. I think I gave you that hat and those shoes! Glad she can finally wear them! Having all of these firsts with your first child is PRICELESS!!! There really is nothing better! I love seeing your joy as parents. I can tell that both of you are so happy and proud of her! And you should be! She's a cutie! And she's finally getting hair- wahoo!

Jeff said...

So fun to read and see these pics and videos. Fun of you and Robert ... and of course AB is a doll!! .... I really liked that quote you started with. That is so very true and I loved Elder Wirthlin.