Friday, February 15, 2013

New Year, New Beginnings

To begin, we bought a new car!
Our "Green Machine" (a/k/a the Explorer) has seen better days. So, with the baby coming, we decided to get a more dependable car for me to drive when home. We spent many hours at numerous car lots looking for a vehicle that fit our preferences and eventually found this 2004 Acura MDX. 
We haven't decided on a name yet for this car, any suggestions? 

A week later, we decided to add another addition to our family:
Annabelle Mary Fountain 
Born at 5:55 p.m. on January 13, 2013
She was suppose to be a planned c-section on Friday, January 18 because of her breech position. The weekend before that date, I told Robert we should go out with our friends for a last hurrah. That Saturday, January 12, we went shopping in the afternoon to pick up a few last items we needed for the nursery and then met up with our friends Shawnee, Brandon, Carlos, and Stephanie in Tampa for dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Dinner was a lot of fun and we had a good time talking about babies, as Stephanie recently found out she is pregnant as well. When we arrived home, I helped Robert take our purchases from that day up to our condo. I walked in the door and immediately felt a "weird feeling." I didn't think much of it and went to bed. I didn't sleep well that night thinking maybe my water had broke, but since I didn't have any pain or contractions that went with it, I headed to church in the morning. Following church, as Robert and I were talking about our day, I mentioned my uneasiness last night while sleeping and he suggested I call the doctor. I did as he encouraged and telephoned the doctor who was on call that weekend. She told me to come into the hospital so they could run some tests to make sure my water did not break. I gave in and decided to do what the doctor suggested, so I quickly made sure I had a few things packed in case we didn't come back home.

Here I am outside waiting for the elevator with the new diaper bag I purchased the day before.
New car packed and ready to go.
Robert said, "Quick take my photo in case today is the day." Here he is driving me to the hospital.

We checked into Triage. Here I am waiting for the test results. The nurse who performed my examination said that she felt my bag of water still, so things were looking good. We just needed the other tests to come back negative for amniotic fluid.
So, we waited and watched the Falcons vs. Seahawks game before eventually taking a nap.

Well, the test didn't come back negative! It was true, my water was leaking and they were going to need to deliver me that day. 

COMMENCE breakdown. This was not according to plan. Who would have thought this would be my last belly photo? I still had four or five more days, today was not my day (or so I thought)! 
At 4:00 p.m. the nurse came into my room, told me my test was positive for fluid and said the doctor was on her way now. I had little time to prepare mentally and physically. Next thing I know, I was being hooked up with IVs and taking medicine. I had barely enough time to call my mom and tell her I was not going to make my Skype family baby shower that she had planned for me with my siblings. 
Robert gave me a blessing and then I was wheeled to the operating room. 

Speaking of Robert, he was quite proud of his look. May I introduce, Dr. Fountain:
Just a little nervous, but I think I'm ready...
Show time!
The procedure went better and faster than I thought. I was wheeled in and given my epidural. Within a short time my feet and lower half went warm.Robert then came in and kept me company while the doctor and staff went to work. Next thing I know, there's a screaming little one and she was here.

Born at 5:55 pm.

Robert cutting the cord:
Our first photo as three:
She was so little because they swaddled her feet by her head. She came out doing a toe touch, which explains why she never turned.
Recovery room and spending my first moments with her.



Proud daddy sending out text messages and emails announcing the good news.
My doctor and our happy Annabelle (not).

With a c-section you stay longer in the hospital, so Robert and I had many meals together like this. The hospital food was great and I enjoyed not having to worry where my next meal was coming from. (Note: That black strap was my best friend! It held my pain medication - nice and convenient for getting around).
In case I forget who I am and whom I belong to:

Robert was quickly initiated and changed most of the first diapers.
Other pictures from the hospital:
Snuggle time
I loved her little mittens.
Getting dressed, so we could go home:
Buckled up!
Here we go.

And since we've been home:
We've (well she has) slept a lot.
Played catch with Daddy:    
Tried out our crib:

Took our first bath:
Terrorized mommy at night:
well not all the time...
Adjusted to the harness we have to wear for 12 weeks.
 
Took a stroll on the beach.
Slept some more. 
 Practiced important ninja skills:
 Loved sleeping in the car seat:
Little monkey
Welcome to our new life! 

6 comments:

Jana Porter said...

congrats! you two will be great parents. glad all is well!

Jana Porter said...

oh and love the name she is beautiful!

Lori said...

Love sweet Annabelle! Can't wait to see her in person!

Laura said...

What a wonderful post! So happy to see more pictures and hear everything all over again. She's a cutie, and I love her in those mittens too!

Jeff said...

loved seeing more pictures. Beautiful

Jenny said...

Darling Jo- you guys didn't miss one photo op- the clock, the wristbands. Great job getting it all documented- phew! That's a big job! She's adorable and I loved hearing the whole story through pictures! We're so glad that she made it- sweet, sweet Annabelle!