WARNING: Long Post Below
For this very special person below is how this whole trip started...

My Grandma, Nelda Tolsma, turned 80 on July 1st. As such, my entire family decided we would all fly out to Utah to help her celebrate. My Dad's siblings all did a wonderful job throwing the party, which was held at the Maddox Restaurant Clubhouse. It was a delightful dinner, where we were able to catch up with all of our extended family. I love celebrations!
Plus, dinner was delicious! The steak was unbelievable - all 14 oz of it.

The next day we celebrated another set of birthdays, Keaton's (who is in the background playing with Robert) and Jason. We took Keaton to the Nickelcade to have some fun!

After we used up all of Jeff's nickels, we headed to the Union Train Station to see some big trains.

I really did mean big! Look at that wheel.

Following the morning birthday adventures, we made it out to my Uncle Garn and Kim's home for his retirement party from the Fire Station.

Here's to retirement!
Jeff loves to jam on the guitar and Tyler love guitars too!
My Uncle's home overlooks a beautiful valley.
We spent lots of time hanging out eating, playing an endless game of Horse/Pig, and socializing.
The retiree taking a classic horse shot off the truck. Always remember to call your shot. We saw lots of granny shots, opposite hand shot, eyes closed, etc. You name it, we did it.

For the 4th of July we started the morning off getting ready for the big day. Or should I say the boys made sure we were ready...

Grill, check. Hot dogs, check. Now that's what I am talking about. What 4th of July is complete without some grilled hot dogs?
Picnic time on the back patio!
My mom completely surprised us all with a remolded new look to my grandpa's home. It was like walking into a totally different house. She did such a great job. The backyard was all trimmed up and beautiful as well. Which we enjoyed, with a classic game of backyard soccer to get in the spirit of the World Cup festivities. We only suffered a few minor injuries.
Cheese!
After our picnic, we made our journey down to Provo where we finalized our 4th of July celebration watching the Stadium of Fire. Look at the gorgeous sunset.
Carrie Underwood performed!
My concert buddy.
My other concert buddy.
The firework show was incredible. Thankfully, we got some of it on video, so I could enjoy it later. I had an ash fly into my eye, so I spent half of the concert trying to get my eye to recover. By the end of the show, I looked like two face. One eye with full make up and the other with zero. Good thing we didn't get a photo of that.

Our other concert buddies. Not everyone enjoyed the firework display though.
Happy Independence Day!
After the concert ended we rounded up the troops, packed the car and headed down to Cedar City. We arrived at approximately 3 am. We spent the remainder of the trip in Cedar City at my Uncle Kevin and Aunt Shari's house. They were brave souls to let all 14 of us come and stay with them. We had a great time going to Zion's National Park, watching Eclipse, playing lots of ping pong and tennis, and just enjoyed our time together.

Tyler loved picking up all the sand.
Sightseeing.
Laura and Jeff. After this trip, Laura got home and had to suffer through a kidney stone attack! Luckily, it didn't ruin her trip though and she is on the mend now making a full recovery.
Our professional tour guide, Uncle Kevin. After our Cedar City adventure, Robert and I rented a car and headed up to Provo for the night. I took him to the airport the next day, so he could get back home for work. I stayed in Utah for another 4 days and worked myself. It was great to see everyone at the corporate office, as well as, I was able to meet up with those that were still in Utah for one more evening out together as they made the drive back from Cedar. I also dropped in to see some of my friends at the Cougareat and did a little Provo shopping. It was a blast and we had a great time!
Other Trip Highlights:
Ligori's (closed), so we went to Tony's. Just as good.
El Matador - went out for lunch to celebrate Jason's birthday
World Cup Soccer - the boys got up to watch this every morning
Sleeping Arrangements - We spent everyday, minus the last one sleeping on the floor. Why it pays to be the oldest and not the youngest.
Colter - how he managed to stay alive in HORSE when he wasn't even present for 2/3 of the game.
Mr. & Mrs. Coleman - getting to meet my new cousin in law. My cousin, Amy got married the weekend before we all came out to Utah.
Carrie Underwood - I know it is mentioned above, but seriously it was an awesome concert.
If I think of others, I will add them, but for now I think that about sums it up! Whew, it was one busy and crazy trip. I still need that vacation where I just relax.
5 comments:
YAY! thanks for sharing.. Next time you come in. I Would LOVE TO SEE YOU! so email me or call me and we can meet up and do lunch or something.
I hear ya- where did relaxing come into play on that trip- it was busy and so much FUN! It was FUN reading your re-cap of it- I just finished two weeks on mine and boy it's taking me FOREVER! I need some of your AMAZING PICTURES- especially from the Carrie Underwood concert- I have ZeRo! I will send mine as well, so you can add them. We all need to go to Hawaii now and relax on the beach and do nothing- however, knowing our family, we couldn't sit still!!!!!!!!! :) So glad everyone came out to PAR-TAY!!!!
Love your pics Jo and the part about having to sleep on the floor the whole time. That made me laugh. We felt bad for you guys. I've never made it to the "adult table" on my mom's side. Even though I was the first of my cousins to be married and have kids!! You never get out of being the baby. Sometimes its a good thing and sometimes its not. Love you guys and hope to see you before too long.
You bet it was awesome!!! Loved the commentary and "highlights"
so the laura comments are Jeff's. I forgot to log out of her account. ;-)
= Jeff
Post a Comment