Monday, May 17, 2010

Freedom at Last

Well, finals are over! That means I am finally free to relax and enjoy life again. HaHa. I truly feel relieved now. I have no idea what to do with all of my free time. One thing I can do now is update you on what has taken place over the last month or so. First, before finals started up, I won my first Stetson Intramural Championship! My team went undefeated (13-0) throughout the season and won the tournament. I did not think life could get much better than this, but it does as you will see below. HaHa. Here I am below showing off my sweet lefty jumpshot, which helped me shoot 0 for 8 in the one game my Dad showed up to watch. Don't worry, the stroke returned for the championship game!


Here we are creating the game-plan.


We get a plaque on the wall in the gym with this photo on it. It will stand as a reminder to all the guys working out that they have to workout harder if they want to replace us on the wall.


Finals were extremely difficult this semester. They were definitely much more difficult this semester than the previous one. However, I stayed focused through the first 3 and was able to put in solid 10 to 12 hour study days each day. Then, a day before my last final, I hit the wall. I did not have any more energy and focus to continue studying. Luckily, I checked my email out of boredom and came across an email telling me that I had been selected to intern under the Vice President of Legal Affairs for all of Minor League Baseball (MiLB) during the upcoming fall semester! This was the pickup I needed, and I finished out the semester strong. My last exam, may have actually been my best one.


During the fall semester, I will work a minimum of 8 hours for the general counsel of MiLB while also taking 3 to 4 other classes. I had been pursuing an internship with multiple teams and organizations for awhile and was completely unsuccessful. I began to think that I would have to put my dream of working for a sports organization on the back-burner for quite some time, then this internship came along. I was shocked that I was selected for the internship. The internship selection process is done through Stetson, and I had applied for it without completing the required classes and was told by the program coordinator that I had no chance whatsoever of getting it. HaHa. Somehow, I got it! I can't wait to start. The attorney I am working for handles all of the contracts between MiLB team owners, umpires, players, and sponsorships. Needless to say, I couldn't be happier. I will get to work in the field of law I want, and I get class credit for it.

As for this summer, I am in the process of finalizing an intern position at a family law firm in Tarpon Springs, FL. My interest in family law has grown since speaking with the partner of the firm at church. Although the firm's office is about 30 minutes away from home, it seems like another great opportunity because the partner mentioned that I would be able to sit in on client interviews, depositions, and hearings. Plus, JoAnna and I get to enjoy the Florida summer like we wanted to do. Well, I will keep you updated on how this goes, after all, I do have plenty of free time at the moment.

Lastly, I must thank JoAnna for all she did while I struggled through finals week! I feel so bad for her during these weeks because all I do is study and ignore her. Nevertheless, she still managed to keep up with all the housework, feed me amazing dinners, provide fun distractions when needed, and tell me that she would still love me if I failed my exams!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Good job Robert and congratulations on the intern job! We're proud of you for working so hard!

Jenny said...

Great post Robert! Fun to see your personality on here too and that was a nice tribute to Jo Jo! Congrats on your internship with MiLB- that will be awesome- so glad that things are working out for you! Keep up the good work and hopefully we'll get down there to the beach soon with you guys again.

Laura said...

Wow Robert, that is awesome!! I can't believe you got your dream internship...that sounds absolutely perfect!! Thanks for updating us, I was wondering what internships you were going to do. Congrats!