Monday, May 4, 2009

I never thought this would happen...


Last Monday was my final day off before I returned to work, so I decided to go golfing. Since JoAnna was at work and I have no golfing buddies left in Provo, I went out on my own and got paired up with two older gentlemen. It turned out that one of the two men was the lead sports editor for the Deseret News (Provo newspaper). As we were golfing, we discussed many aspects of BYU sports because his main job is to cover BYU basketball and football. He even travels with the teams. He began to ask me my opinions on the BYU recruiting process and how I ended up at BYU. I spoke openly to him about it, and he seemed to agree with me. Well, JoAnna's co-worker found this column/blog the sports editor wrote about me a couple days ago.

Before you read the article, let me clarify a few things he exaggerated on, or simply misunderstood.
- We were talking college football and I mentioned Tim Tebow played in the same area as me. In the article, he says we are "friends", which is far from true.
- Next, he combined my academic and athletic scholarships together. I had academic scholarships at Florida and Florida State. I had athletic scholarships at Hawaii and Valparaiso.

Anyways, it was pretty cool to talk with this sports writer and discover that he wrote about me. I still can't believe our conversation was important enough for him to write about it, but I guess you never know. Oh and for those of you who are wondering whether or not I beat him in golf, the answer is, "Yes".

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.deseretnews.com/blogs/1,5322,19,00.html?bD=20090501&sc=dmn

3 comments:

Laura said...

Funny Robert! Glad that you gave him something to write about...ha ha, without getting too specific. It's also funny that he got your facts wrong....but that makes his story more exciting. :) Glad you beat him! ha

Jenny said...

Darn I missed it- it says it expired and I can't pull it up!

Jeff said...

so funny. that had to be fun golfing with someone who is a sports column writer. makes you wonder how embelished columns can be from what was really said. ;-)