Monday, April 27, 2009
Speaking of internships...I just got one!
As JoAnna was working on finishing her internship application, I was in the process of interviewing for a summer internship at the Law Offices of Ford and Huff in Lehi, Utah (Thanksgiving Point area). Of the 35 BYU students who applied for the internship, I was the student who was chosen to be their law intern for the summer. I will work there for 8 hours each week. It is not a paid internship, but the experience I will gain from it will be huge. The law office has 28 lawyers and does many types of law including criminal law, estate planning, immigration, and general litigation. The law office has an interesting focus. The office motto is "In serving each other we become free." The lawyers in the office complete an unbelieveable amount of pro bono (free) service for Latin individuals in Utah. On top of that, the law office is unique because it allows its lawyers to practice part-time if they would like or even only work a case for half of the time. Also, the lawyers get to choose the cases they want to work. The managing partner, which has an MBA, feels lawyers often are unhappy because they get stuck working long hours on cases they don't enjoy. Thus, the reason the law office is so flexible with their lawyers is that they want their lawyers to be happy doing their job. Lastly, I will be able to attend court with the lawyers, sit in on depositions and phone calls, and participate in training sessions with the lawyers. One great chance I will have is to participate in a training session in which the estate planning lawyers get trained on a will-making system. Since I am interested in possibly doing estate planning law, this would be an excellent opportunity for me to learn more about the field. Well, I will stop talking about this internship now. As you can see, I am quite excited that I received the internship and cannot wait to start it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Congrats on the intership! keep us posted on everything
That sounds pretty sweet dude. Congrats on that hookup. Maybe they'll let you help us make a will or whatever, since we kinda need to get that done now that we have a kid and what not...
Yay Robert- congrats! A step further to your career!
Post a Comment